With the upcoming release of The Muppets Movie, InStyle recently did an interview with America’s swine sweetheart– Miss Piggy. What a style icon with all of her glitz and glamour. The article highlights her 5 Style Commandments, including “Clothes are like friends: They should always complement your appearance.” While reading Miss Piggy’s Style Commandments, I couldn’t help but think of my own personal style rules and what I try to stick to…
1. Wear it now. I’m not a big fan of “saving” clothes for something special. Granted, if you buy a dress for a wedding, yes you should save it for the wedding and not wear it out running errands. However, don’t keep saving a top for some special night that you’re waiting to pop up. Wear it now. Who knows what could happen tomorrow, and you don’t want to have a “new” shirt in your closet 2 years later with the tags still on because you were saving it.
2. Build upon basics. I am a big believer in high quality basics – A nice black skirt, dark denim, a white blouse, black boots. Take those and build upon them with accessories, sweaters, cute heels. Don’t go buy a random sparkly sweater you can only wear once because it doesn’t go with anything.
3. Quality, not quantity. Ok, let’s be honest. I like quantity too. But quality items that will last you years just seem like a better investment. Perhaps it was ok in college to go buy 10 shirts from Forever 21 for 70 bucks and call it good, however, how long did those shirts really last? 3 nights out then they ripped? It’s time to invest in items with staying power.
4. Tailor. No point in having quality items if they don’t fit. Find the perfect skirt, but it’s just an inch too long? Go spend the extra $10 and get it hemmed.
5. Dress for yourself. What do YOU want to wear? Do you want to wear a cute dress to go to the movies and eat popcorn? Do it. If you look good and feel good in an outfit, you’ll exude confidence. And nothing is more attractive. Just ask Miss Piggy… She’s the most confident girl out there.